Thursday, December 3, 2009

November Re-cap

OK, I don't know why Blogger is giving me a hard time but I am going to write everything out on here and then you all can look at the other post and try to figure out which pictures go with which!

This year we decided to drive to Phoenix for Thanksgiving. It turns out it is only 14 hours away. Not too bad if you do it in two days. Me and the kids drove alone so Jason could work some more and we had our usual adventures along the way.

First we stopped in Tayohville TX to see the worlds largest swimming pool. It is built on a natural hot springs so the water stays 75 degrees all year. Somehow it still felt cold when the weather was 65. The water was very clear and there were lots of friendly fish. Alex never got around to getting in but after 30 minutes Adam at least gave it a real go. I wish we could go there in the summer- it must be great!

We stopped for the night in Van Horn Texas at a cheapo hotel Nothing much to it but in the morning we had saw a little bat sleeping in the rafters of the porch. It was so sweet and fuzzy and close I wanted to pet it but if that thing had taken off we would have been screaming like little girls! It definatly got the adrenilin pumping to be so close!

When we got to AZ it was wonderful to relax and see family we hadn't seen in so long. Especially Jason's sisters family, and cousin's family. They had each added a baby. So we spent a lot of time cuddling our new niece McKenzli and getting caught up with favorite cousins. The food was great but the company was the best.

The coolest part of the trip was that we got to be there for the blessing of little McKenzli. Jason was part of the circle and it felt so good to participate in family moments. It feels like we miss so many!

Soon the week was over and started the drive back. On the first day we stopped at Rooster Culburns Ostrich farm. We got to feed deer, goats, ostriches, and donkeys. But hte wildrest part is the lorakeet inclosure. You go in there with a cup of necter and they go wild perching all over you. I was really proud of the boys because they loved it. Kat would not come in. I was a little freaked out but decided to go with it.

As we drive along we kept seeing billboards for "The Thing", as the exit got closer we just HAD to know what it was. So inside a gas station gift shop is a 25 cent tour. Some guy a long time ago collected weird things and now you can look at them. There is no theme. The actual thing turns out to be a mummy with no information on it. They like to keep "the Thing" a secret but I am just going to go ahead and tell you cause that collection was weird and mildly disturbing. Curse you billboards! You got me!

That night we drive to El Paso and stayed at a La Quinta. I love those. You can always count on a decent bed. But as we got there it had started to SNOW. THat\s right, in TEXAS it was SNOWING. The next day we froze our Arizona clad behinds off as we drove off into the white. It was 4 hours of white knuckled driving until I could get the cruise back at 80. I relied a lot on prayer in making my choices. I am glad I drove through though because the storm was moving towards Austin and I would have just been stuck. As we got closer to home the GPS took us on some small roads with flooding. Again the Spirit guided me in taking care of my little ones. We were lost with no service on our cell, and I am glad I decided to turn around in stead of fording the flooded road.

What should have been 8 hours was 12 but we made it home last night. Jason had the Christmas decorations up and the holiday music playing. It was so good to be home. But once my head hit the pillow everything I have to do for the kids birthdays, Christmas, and the ward activity started bouncing in my head. If I survive this Christmas Party I promise I will enjoy the season! Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

You're so awesome! I love you and your cute little family....wish we lived closer!