Monday, March 8, 2010


As many of my readers know I have been involved in the Toastmasters International program. Not everyone knows why. Growing up I was "good" at many things but I never had something I was great at. Nothing that was a title, or tangible. I could never say I was an artist, or an actress. I was happy to be an average student and I never liked competition because I didn't like to loose and I didn't like to do the hard work that was required to be a winner. As an adult I have gone from one hobby or obsession to another, discovering things I was interested in, but again never really excelling at anything. I have been a teacher, a poet, a musician, a baker, a salesman, and a mom, a true Jack of all Trades, Master of None. I had heard of Toastmasters in Luxembourg but never had the time to check it out. Here in Austin I had the time and when I went to see what it was all about I was impressed with the program. Not only is it a great place to practice public speaking, but their workbook, goals, and competitions, really give you skills for a lifetime. This January I made it my goal to participate in the international speech contest. It is a worldwide competition that starts at the club level. Last week I won our club level. It was nerve racking and at the last minute didn't want to do it, because I knew it would involve work and loosing graciously! But I kept on because of the great mentors I have met in my club. On March 20th I will compete at the next level on the road to global public speaking championship. I am very proud to present my first ever Trophy of my entire life!! Also here is the video of my speech. It isn't very good quality but you can still hear it!


3 comments:

Topsy said...

WOw! LEt me be the first to say! Congratulations! You Rock!

Adrienne, Hanna, Hayden & Garrett said...

OK that was a great talk and congrats for making it so personal!

Topsy said...

Wow again Sara. I can't comment on the skinny jeans, too grainy of a photo. But the speech was intelligent, humorous, beautiful, captivating, honest, delightful. Come to think of it. . . exactly like you.