Thursday, August 18, 2011

My New Years Resolutions

I definitely feel like making goals in January, but there is something about a new school year that makes me say: "Right, what are we going to get done now that the kids are in school and we are back to a routine?" Since for the first time in a really long time, I know we are going to live here in Galway for this next year, I am thinking that I want to hunker down. Sure we moved in, Jason did his thing and our house if beautiful, but I feel like our rooms are just unpacked not cozy. Hopefully some of you know what I'm talking about. Everything has a place, but it just doesn't seem on purpose, or cohesive. In Luxembourg we had a few places that we did up and I really loved those. Our first house we ever bought was also like that. I know, given our nomadic lifestyle and Jason's full-on career we aren't going to be investing on going all the way on the house. But I know there are a few ways we can turn it up. So here is my plan/goal: We have a big house with many rooms/spaces. I will take one of these room/spaces a day and clear the junk out, put things in order etc. This will take me 27 days. That seems like a really long time BUT its a pace I think I can realistically keep. I mean some days will just be a little bathroom. By starting with a clear palette, I will feel free to frame and hang up new pictures, paint a few walls, and re- arrange some furniture. Why am I telling you this? I will need a place to showcase my results when I am done!

4 comments:

Bethany said...

I like it. I am excited to see what you do. This is Jason’s cousin Bethany. I can’t remember if we have meet but I love reading your blog and seeing what your family is up to and your great adventures.

Mark and Tara Christiansen said...

I am feeling the same way. We have been our house a year and I am taking things a room at time and decided if I really like the placement of our stuff and reorganizing everything. I think it will take me longer than 27 days though. Miss you.

Gurrn said...

Susan and I have been living together for a year now, and we're not completely to e point where everything in the house is in the right place, is somewhere we can both find it, not sticking out in the way, etc. It's a long process, so pace yourself. It will take long time, but you'll get there.

Bethanne said...

I know exactly what you mean. Even just hanging a few photos that are thoughtfully placed can make all the difference, so I'm glad you don't feel you need to do as much as in those beautiful Lux houses... which still inspire me.
Good luck with pacing yourself and the project in general.