Friday, January 23, 2009

Help Me Blogosphere!!

Ok let's not worry about uploading pictures right now, I will get to that. Right now I have more pressing matters to discuss. I am grateful to be living in America where I can speak English everyday and use my talents a little easier then I have in past years. That said, I may be a little over extended at the moment. I have two assignments that I am working on that I could use help with.

1. I am teaching a class for the stake on Missionary Skills. It is 40. Minutes. Long. AND I have to teach it 3 times in a row. I have a lot of material but what I need is a way to get the class involved. Does anyone have any activities they would suggest? I have a few ideas but I want to hear what sounds interesting to you? Why would you be willing to take a 40 minute class on missionary skills?

Ok 2. In a couple of weeks my Young Women class is in charge of the combined activity (for the boys and girls) Our idea was to have a social skills night. We need to get everyone talking and breaking out of their comfort zones. Anyways part of that is for the older kids giving them some date ideas. Can you all give me some feedback on that? What were some of the best dates you ever went on? Not the most expensive, but the fun creative ones. I would appreciate anything you can share with me. I want to give the kids a list for reference. I worry that dating is just turning into hanging out and kids are so busy texting they don't have time to learn real face to face people skills. Help me on my quest!

Thanks Internet, I knew I could count on you!
Love,
Sarah

3 comments:

Sherrill said...

My favorite dates were snowshoeing with a dinner over a little propane can, and a pirate themed group date where we were delivered a burnt around the edges invitation in a bottle, told to dress up, the guys came to each girls apt. carried them out (wrists and ankles) and put us in the back of a truck. We went to seafood, raced paper boats on a river, watched "Hook", and made homemade ice cream.

Ash said...

Okay, I'm willing to leave a comment b/c I'm feeling generous and I like your bangs. :)

1. My biggest problem is getting over the initial fear of sharing the gospel. I'm afraid that people will make fun of things that are important to me. And they always seem to ask how many wives my husband has. Anyway, Something about overcoming fears. I think role-plays are somewhat helpful if done right. Testimonies from converts are inspiring as well. I think you'll do a good job with whatever you do.
2. I have always loved to play games. Not just board games, but charades or pictionary. Even kick ball or laser tag. Or ice blocking (sliding down hills on frozen blocks of ice) Those seem to have been the funnest dates.

Anonymous said...

For #1: Are the students old enough for role plays? They always take a good amount of time and are fun. Pick a couple of skills, make up the beginnings of scenarios to go with those skills, have some people act them out, and then group discussions on outcomes and skills.
For #2: I'm still in the role play mind set: but you don't want to role play an antire date, do you? Could small groups of teens come up with date ideas and then have a whole group sharing to give every body ideas and get them all thinking?
Good good luck!!